tlug: Undeleting files in Linux

    Matt> Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
    >> Well, I managed to type 'rm tar tzf steve.old.tgz' and of
    >> course rm's response was "no such file: tar tzf".  Oops.

    >> What to my wondering eyes should appear but 18889 block
    >> indexes.  Since /playpen lives on a different partition from
    >> /var and /tmp, I betcha I recover the file.  I won't do the
    >> tedious work until tomorrow, I'll let you know if it worked.

# debugfs /dev/sdb6
debugfs: dump <20403> /mnt/steve.old.tgz
debugfs: quit

And we're in business.  (The tedious part was tracking down the inode
number and making space to put that tarball in.  I had plenty of space
in the partition that file was in in the first place. :)

    Matt> Ouch! Doesn't sound like you had a good day.

Wasn't bad until that happened.  I probably don't need the file
either, but ... if I can recover it, I probably oughtta.  So I did.

    Matt> Well, I suspect I'm carrying coals to Newcastle, but ... you
    Matt> know you can recover files (very easily) with Midnight
    Matt> Commander?

Yeah, it says so at the very bottom of the file recovery HOWTO.  I
don't believe in file managers, but I suppose I'll have to try mc one
of these days.

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691