Re: tlug: Libretto

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 09:57:57AM +0900, Masanori Smiley Omote wrote:

> > I'm always confused by the terms used for these APM functions.
> > Is "standby" the one that powers the machine down with an image
> > of memory on disk, or the one that turns off all the moving
> > parts, but keeps memory alive with a trickle of current to RAM?
>
> Uh, me too. :-)
>
> I just wanted to write that "hybernation", which stores entire memory
> image on the disk, doesn't seem available on SS1000.  "Suspend" which
> keeps memory image works well.  Besides, I can change the battery
> while it is in suspended mode and connected to the power adapter.

A common reason for failure or disabling of power-down hibernation
is the reformatting of the hard disk.  Early Librettos required that
an area the size of memory be left unformatted at the end of the disk.
Other laptops, and probably the more modern Librettos, require a
specially formatted partition on the disk, which the BIOS identifies
and uses for writing out the memory image before powering down the
machine.  If you did a total reformat of the disk when you installed
Linux, you will have wiped out this partition.

If your received a maintenance CD with the machine, look into it and see
if you can find a DOS utility that looks like it might serve this
function.  If you didn't, try Toshiba support or their Web site.
Power-down hibernation is really handy; it's worth putting in a bit
of extra work if you can get it to function on your machine.

Cheers,
--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691