Re: tlug: trouble in smb setting

Thank you for your suggestion.  I tried the same smb.conf, but it doesn't
work.  The same error (your server software is being unfriendly) occurs.

> >Linux box is named tetsu, and Win98 is yuki.  A printer named "canon" is
> >connected to tetsu and it is to be shared with yuki.
>
> I set up something similar with this minimalist conf file:
> ---smb.conf------
> [global]
> guest account = ftp
> guest only=yes
> security=share
> workgroup=WORKGROUP
>
> [CanonBJC]
> path = /var/spool/samba
> printable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> writable = yes
> printer name = lp
> ---------------
>
> This assume the windows machine has the printer driver installed.

Yes, I have no problem in this.   When Win98 is running on tetsu, it works.

> >Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host MailAndNews.com.
> >Failed to get my hostname.
>
> I don't remember seeing errors like this. Does other networking work okay?
> Does your hosts file have entries for tetsu and yuki?

Hmm, it may be a problem.  I set hostname of my computer "MailAndNews.com",
although it actually is another machine.  By doing this, in all the email
messages I am "tetsuji@example.com", but actually MailAndNews.com is
another site.  To tell the truth, when booting, at first "hostname tetsu" is
executed, and then, such daemons as smbd are executed, then "hostname
MailAndNews.com" is executed.   smbd interprets this machine is tetsu.
  But I also think the problem is solved by smb.conf, because the error
message is "Your server software is being unfriendly", and because "smbclient
-L yuki" works in spite of MailAndNews.com problem.
   Other programs such as ftp, telnet work fine between tetsu and yuki.

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691