Re: tlug: 10/100base2 NICs for Linux

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Glenn Evanish wrote:

> >Riva128 chips work well and are fairly
> >inexpensive.
>
> This is a server I'm building.  Can I ask more about "RIva128 chips?"  Is
> this a brand name, or do I just check for the chipset on the box?  And
> these are PCI cards, not AGP?

Diamond Viper V330, STB Velocity 128.  AVailable as either PCI or AGP.
RivaTNT cards work well, too, if you have XFree86 3.3.3.1.

>  These days, it seems everything in the stores is an AGP
> >card with 8 meg or more, so take your pick among the major brands..
> >I've used two different Riva cards (a Diamond Edge3D and Diamond Viper
> >330) with Linux with good results.
>
> This server's going to be black most of the time, so I was hoping to get
> away with less than an AGP with 8 megs, as you could understand.
>
> Avoid Trident and S3 stuff.
>
>  Right.

you can use Trident and S3 stuff all you want as long as you're not going
to use X.  Personally I never run X on servers, so I always get the $10
el-cheapo 1MB VGA card.  as long as it can drive an 80x25 or 80x50 text
console, that's all I need.

> So, am I on my own with the 10base2 card?  I've got the HCL to check, but
> I've had "instant luck" with some cards on the NT list and have also banged
> my head until I threw up my hands in despair with one in particular (alas,
> a cheapie).  That's why I was hoping that some of you with history on this
> might have some inside experiences, as with the video cards.

10-base2?  get thee behind me, Satan!  You're much better off with
10/100-baseT - even if you have to rewire the whole building.  10-base2
just *begs* for termination/etc problems, in my experience.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691