Re: tlug: 10/100base2 NICs for Linux

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Glenn Evanish wrote:

> I've got a 3C509b card at home, but the school is currently a peer to peer
> 10base2 network.  This could be a sensitive issue, as people sometimes take
> sides with hardware, but can anybody recommend me a surefire, no worries
> 10base2 card easily available off the rack?

I've never used 10base2, so I'll leave this to somebody else.

> Video card also?  The cheapest thing that could get X is what I need.  Is
> just about any motherboard OK?

Riva128 chips work well and are fairly
inexpensive.  These days, it seems everything in the stores is an AGP
card with 8 meg or more, so take your pick among the major brands..
I've used two different Riva cards (a Diamond Edge3D and Diamond Viper
330) with Linux with good results.  Avoid Trident and S3 stuff.

A list of supported cards can be found at:

http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html

Take it shopping with you :-)

Don't skimp on motherboard quality.  Asus and MegaByte are both very
good, and I would recommend getting one of those.  The documentation
(especially Asus) is also very good with these boards.

Jonathan Byrne                                   Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                              http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 03-5334-1700   Fax: +81-03-5334-1701   Direct: +81-03-5334-1756

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691