Re: tlug: Japanese DOS support under Linux - from the message board

> On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Jim Schweizer wrote:
>
> > Posted by Jack Halpern on February 05, 1999 at 12:00:54:
> >
> > I am TIRED of Windows and seriously want to switch to LINUX. But it is
> > very important to me to be able to use Japanese dBASE IV for DOS, in
> > which we have built huge CJK dictionary processing libraries over the
> > last ten years.
>
> Moving on sort of a tangent, I wonder if there is a convertor that will
> turn Dbase IV stuff into MySQL or Postgres stuff?

As chief-assistant-technical-project-director-or-sumpinerother in exile
for TLUG, I've a suggestion:

This would make a *fine* and worthy project for TLUG.  To get Mr.
Halpern onto a real compute platform shouldn't take much (just run the
dos stuff under dosemu or Wine) but the ultimate goal should be to get
him off of such an antiquated system.  We need to investigate these "huge
CJK dictionary processing libraries" and see what it would take to
port them to a Linux based system.

Sadly, I'm still travelling like a madman so I can't lead the effort,
but I'd still like to help if I can.

Any volunteers?

Regards,
--
Rex

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691