Re: tlug: Ghostscript/VFlib not finding font

    Matt> This, unfortunately, only tells me ghostscript is doing what
    Matt> it's s'poze to. It seems pretty clear now that it's a
    Matt> VFlib-specific problem (or maybe I should say a
    Matt> ghostscript-being-dependent-on-VFlib-specific problem).

    Matt> strace gave me this:

    Matt> open("/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/vfonts/mincho.vf1",
    Matt> O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) 473

Take a look at the /etc/vfontcap and find the entry for mincho.vf1

I think this is very "printcap" like. For example:

rf-hon-mincho-l|DynaFont RYOBI PREMIUM PACK RF Hon Mincho-L:\
        :ft=truetype:\
        :ff=/usr/local/font/truetype/rfhml

I think this is saying:

the font rf-hon-mincho-l, also know by its full name, DynaFont RYOBI
PREMIUM PACK RF Hon Mincho-L:

is defined as a "font type of truetype and the font file itself lives in
/usr/local/font/truetype/rfhml

Your postscript should have some setfont postscript operators that are
trying to select some Japanese font. Your mission, should you decide
to accept it, is to dive head first into the postscript and figure out
what fonts its looking for.

These are getting mapped to something in the vfontcap file. If you
don't have the fonts its wants, you can probably substitute some other
font.

    Matt> So evidently vflib is trying to open a non-existent font. I
    Matt> don't have (have never had) 'mincho.vf1', nor do I have the
    Matt> ../vfonts directory. I do have Wadalab Mincho, though, so
    Matt> maybe I need to tell VFlib that 'min' means Wadalab
    Matt> Mincho. I'm thinking maybe it's just a matter of editing
    Matt> /etc/vfontcap.

The wadalab fonts are postscript, so VFLib does not apply, I
think. For that you would have to muck around with the Fontmap file.

    Matt> So I should refer to the VFlib manual, right? Only problem
    Matt> with that is, I can't read the manual! The TeX version is
    Matt> written for ASCII-JTeX; I have NTT-JTeX.

    Matt> Um ... does anybody have a copy of the VFlib-2.22 docs that
    Matt> doesn't depend on TeX or PS? Say, HTML or something? Or can
    Matt> anyone explain how to write a vfontcap entry?

I took a quick look at the DOC, so quick that I saw that it described
it, but thats it. The man.ps is more about the VFLib library
itself. If you want, and my fax software cooperates, I can try faxing
it to you.

Regards,

	Andy
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691