RE: tlug: Grrr... Why won't the same solution work for the same problem twice?

>I'm pretty sure it's 1MB VRAM, which is what Xconfigurator suggested to me,
>and what I selected... which means it's weird that it is commented out in
>the XF86config file. SHould I uncomment the line which states my cards VRAM?

That's not absolutely required, as the server will pick it up, normally. I
haven't had a problem with it not doing so, but YMMV. If you uncomment this
line and your VRAM is not 1MB, then the server will use the ram it finds.
BTW, you should see the Video RAM on your screen when you boot into the BIOS.

>I'll try it just as you suggest, but I had previously experimented before,
>and I think what you said is one of the variations I went through. If I
>uncomment the "Mode 1024X768" line, it comes back with an error saying that
>there isn't enough VRAM>. So then I uncomment the line which says "Device
>"TG 9660 / Cyber9385"", and comment out the line which says "Device
>"Generic VGA"", and I get a crazy screen of jittery lines.

I forget the calculations for this, but you can find them in the HOW-TO's.
If you don't know any LDP mirror, you can use mine:

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp/LDP/

At any rate, 1MB isn't going to support a whole lot. You could try 800x600...

FWIW, I picked up a Matrox AGP card with 8MB of RAM for about $80, and it
works just fine with XFree 3.3.1 at full color....

Have fun!

--David Riley
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691