Re: tlug: Drawing tools

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 05:52:18PM +0900, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

> 	I'm looking for some line drawing tools to make network
> diagrams. I had a play with xfig, but found it very cumbersome and
> unstable. I'm certainly not an artist by any means, so something that
> include artwork for "network" components would be great.

You might try Tkined.  From the man page:

NAME
       tkined - An Interactive Network Editor based on Tk.

DESCRIPTION
       Tkined is an interactive editor for creating and maintain-
       ing network maps.  Tkined is programmable and  can  there-
       fore be used as a graphical frontend for quite a number of
       applications that normally act on a network map (e.g. net-
       work  management  systems,  network simulators).  Applica-
       tions run as  separate  processes  that  communicate  with
       tkined  through  a simple protocol. The most common way to
       implement a tkined application is to use the network  man-
       agement  extension  Tnm(n)  for  the Tool Command Language
       Tcl(n) which encapsulated the protocol and provides access
       to the editor using the ined(n) Tcl command.

It's easy to cook up network maps by hand with it, and it will sniff the
network and make up a template that you can click around to your aesthetic
satisfaction.

I came across it in TL 2.0.

Cheers,
--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691