Re: tlug: Sparc question

> From: "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com>

> Can you try re-seating the cable? If it still does not work, you can
> tell the sun to boot from a particular device. The device name is
> terribly long, but tou should be able to say something like
>
> boot /sbsu/esp@example.com,70000/sd@example.com,0:c

re-seating the cable had no effect, but a little experimenting got me a
command that would boot the cd:

boot /sbus/esp@example.com,800000/sd1,0:c

It started a boot, but failed like this:

SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic_105181-05 [UNIX (R) System V Release
4.0]
Copyright (c) 1983-1997 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Configuring devices. . .
panic: recursive mutex_enter, lp=ff30e7e8 owner=f050ae80 thread=f050ae80
type=0 tsid=0
syncing file systems... 19 19 19 19 19 19 19 19 19

19 was printed about 50 or 60 times.

Than it followed with:

cannot sync -- giving up
rebooting...

What came next was a power-on reset.

I suppose that this is progress of a sort, but perhaps it's the case
that either this CD-ROM is

a) Bad (I've never used it before)
b) Not very compatible with Sun hardware
c) Just not fast enough for the task at hand (it's a 2X caddy type)

Or all of the above.

I tried Jim's suggestion of reversing the DIP switches, but that had no
effect either, which makes me suspect there may be a problem with the
drive.  I'll try hooking it to an Intel box and see what happens.

> I'm sorry I can't tell more details on how these work. I got it to
> work from following examples in the controller manual and a bit of
> experimentation.

Is the controller manual (or any other SS2 documentation) available
online anywhere that you know of?  I have none at all.

> Actually, you might be better off with an old Sun drive.

Anybody got one they'd like to come and visit me with?  :-)

> That should not be a problem in itself. However, it may be the the
> drive is scsi-2,3. The SS2 is plain old scsi. I have not been able to
> get scsi-2 devices to work with built in controllers on SS2's and
> 5's. The add-on controllers, such as the ethernet/scsi combination
> controller, does work.

The internal disks are both SCSI-2, and I know for sure that the smaller
one works, since it came with the machine and has an old SunOS on it.
Or does that problem with SCSI-2 only apply to external devices?

thanks,

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691