Re: tlug: Freezing

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Scott Stone wrote:

> I would argue that the reverse is true - it's nice being able to
> load/unload on the fly and see what works.

When one is damned certain that the problem lies in ether interface
configuration, sure.

With the boners that various distros have pulled (including TL, Scott --
it's not immune) I would not blithely assume that anything works properly.

> Besides, if it's compiled into the kernel and it's hanging the
> system/freezing the system, you'll have a non-bootable system.. or is
> that not the case here?  I'm jumping in several levels down in the
> reply tree...

*laugh* So who tries out a new kernel without rigging a way to revert?
Surely not anyone _I_ know ;)

> I've never had a problem with the 'ne' module using a PCI Ne2k card,
> and I've never gotten one to work right with 'ne2k-pci'.  YMMV.

It certainly does vary.  Depends on the kernel.  An argument can be made
that PCI ne2k cards are bloody abortions that should never have hit the
streets, but YMMV.

-- Chris

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691