Re: tlug: Loading modules

Hi,

I can't help you much, but can give you a clue. I get the same messages,
and I read somewhere (Alan Cox?) they are from a bug in (I think)
ifconfig. In other words, your setup is theoretically fine as it is. In
my case they occur when the /etc/rc.d/init.d/network script runs (look
for the line "./ifup ifcfg-lo"), when setting up the loopback device. I
didn't bother investigating any further, but maybe you could try moving
the network script to run a little later? Alternatively, experiment
building the kernel with more and more networking stuff in-core until it
works?

If you do solve it, please let the list know.

Cheers,

Neil.

Renaud ITIER wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am setting up a fire wall and having some troubles.
>
> I did compile a new kernel, including the drivers for the net card and
> IP_Masquerade stuff. Then I did what was reccomended in the HowTO "make
> modules; make modules_install".
> I can now boot the machine with the new kernel, but having those messages at
> boot time:
>
> modprob can't find module net-pf-4
> modprob can't find module net-pf-5
> modprob can't find module net-pf-4
> modprob can't find module net-pf-5
>
> Another problem is that when I try to setup the eth1 (the one going to the
> router connected to the internet) with a global IP address, the fire wall
> machine freezes. I have to cut the power... The eth0 on 192.168.0.1 is OK.
>
> Would this module not found be responsible for the machine to freeze?
>
> In the HOWTO, they said that I had to add some lines in the
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to load the modules. How to do this?
>
> Please help me.
> Renaud.
Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691