Re: tlug: CD-R under Linux

Well it is great to know that someone is finally able to use CD-RW on
linux!  I have a SCSI Omniwriter CD-RW (aka HP) and have occasionally
checked for documentation on using it under linux.  If drivers have now
been created for its use that will allow me to move some of the last few
items over to my linux system.  The last one will be Net2Phone, and it
should be quite a challenge (hopefully it will run on WINE).
___
 Davin Sneed			 | "They say two thousand zero zero party
 <nivad@example.com> ICQ: 668259 | over, oops out of time. So tonight I'm
 <http://www.bigfoot.com/~nivad> | gonna party like it's 1999" -- Prince

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 mike.fabian@example.com wrote:

> I found   CD-RW for   backups   and CD-R   for  archiving stuff   very
> convenient. I am using a  Hewlett-Packard 7200e CD-Writer, which is an
> external  device connected  to the parallel  port.  It  works with the
> paride suite of drivers which are available from Kernel 2.0.35 on.
>
> Having the CD-Writer connected to  the parallel port has the advantage
> that I can easily carry the CD-Writer around and connect to some other
> machine which I want to backup. The disadvantage  of the parallel port
> connection is that you get a very high load on your CPU during reading
> or writing a CD. Writing speed is 2x  (300kb/sec) and reading speed is
> 6x.   During writing  I  have a  CPU load  around  50 % and  can still
> continue working normally, but reading with 6x speed effectively stops
> everything else. It is even difficult to move the mouse pointer during
> reading. I think internal CD-Writers don't load the CPU that much.
>
> Mike

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691