Re: tlug: CD-R under Linux

Frank Bennett wrote:

>   A friend down here has suggested I use CD-R for backups of my personal
>   machines.  Is there a Linux driver that works with CD-R hardware?

Yes, you can read /usr/doc/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO

>   Or
>   should I be thinking of a different medium instead?  I like the idea of
>   having random access to backup, but methinks CD-R might not be the only
>   game in town.

I found   CD-RW for   backups   and CD-R   for  archiving stuff   very
convenient. I am using a  Hewlett-Packard 7200e CD-Writer, which is an
external  device connected  to the parallel  port.  It  works with the
paride suite of drivers which are available from Kernel 2.0.35 on.

Having the CD-Writer connected to  the parallel port has the advantage
that I can easily carry the CD-Writer around and connect to some other
machine which I want to backup. The disadvantage  of the parallel port
connection is that you get a very high load on your CPU during reading
or writing a CD. Writing speed is 2x  (300kb/sec) and reading speed is
6x.   During writing  I  have a  CPU load  around  50 % and  can still
continue working normally, but reading with 6x speed effectively stops
everything else. It is even difficult to move the mouse pointer during
reading. I think internal CD-Writers don't load the CPU that much.

それでは、

Mike

--
Mike Fabian   mike.fabian@example.com   fabian@example.com
Termuehlenweg 2, D-40885 Ratingen-Lintorf, Telephone: +49(0)2102/893130

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691