Re: tlug: MPP in TurboLinux?

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Anybody know if TurboLinux has MPP support compiled into the kernel it
> ships with?  When trying to make a 128K connection last night, I only got
> 64K while using an init string known to go 128K with an NEC Aterm 65 (I
> have a 75, but the same string *should* work), and found this message
> among the normal pppd messages in /var/log/messages:
>
> Dec 24 01:48:38 jq pppd[312]: Unsupported protocol (0x3e00) received
>
> I'm taking a guess that this means the unsupported protocol it received
> was MPP and this is why I only had a 64K connection.  Can somebody confirm
> this?
>
> If that is the problem and the cure is to rebuild the kernel with MPP
> support in it, I need some (extremely detailed) instructions on rebuilding
> the RPM for the TurboLinux kernel.  "Extremely detailed" in this case
> means "instructions suitable for someone who has never rebuilt a kernel
> and doesn't know how to do it at all, so assume nothing :-)  "

if it's an external unit, then the Kernel is just using the standard
serial drivers, and the ISDN kernel stuff isn't entering into it at all.
This would be a pppd issue, I believe, but I'm not sure exactly what this
unsupported protocol crap is all about... I"ll have to check pppd and
maybe contact the maintainer(s).

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD