Re: tlug: Dynamic Domains/DNS

    Jim> On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 07:06:56PM +0900, Andrew S. Howell
    Jim> wrote:
    >> I was planning on making use of http://www.ml.org/ to setup my
    >> own domain. It has stopped offering this service. Does anyone
    >> know of other sites providing this service?

    Jim> ML does still provide their FREED project (although they are
    Jim> trying to get another organization to take it over).  fcn.net
    Jim> provides an equivalent service, as does eu.org.

    >> My ISP only offers Dynamic IP addresses. This does not appear
    >> to be a problem, in that once they assign me and IP, I can keep
    >> renewing the DHCP lease indefinitely. ( Well, at least a day
    >> and a half so far... )

    Jim> Ah. It sounds like you are looking for the equivalent of ML's
    Jim> DYNDNS service.  http://www.L8R.net/ will do it for
    Jim> CDN$25/year.  http://www.dyndns.com/ will do it for
    Jim> US$25/year.

Yup, thats what I want, and what I was going to use at ml.org. From
looking at their web pages dyndns.com seems more organized. I could
not get a good understanding from L8R's pages as to what the
CDN25$/year gets me.

dyndns's Dynamic Domain service seems to be the ticket. For the 35$ to
internic and 50$ to dyndns, I can have my own domain which they handle
DNS for. If I just resist that next O'Reily book or two, I break even
:)

ISP's here seem to charge an outrageous feed for static IP
addresses. I found another cable provider that wanted 15,000/month or
so for static IP, but only around 5,000 for dynamic IP. One months
fees cover the cost to internic and dyndns.

    Jim> A couple of the Vancouver LUG members have offered to do it
    Jim> for their membership, and the Ottawa LUG is just organizing a
    Jim> similar effort.  Perhaps this should be a TLUG project?

Sounds like a good tlug project me. I would be glad to help testing it
out, as well as working with someone on getting the server side going.

I'm kind of anxious to get myself setup, so that I can move my
wife's account on twics to our own server. For now, I think I'll go
the commercial route, and look a "free" solution later.

Thanks for your help,

	Andy
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD