Re: tlug: (La)TeX, SGML, or ... ?

Matt Gushee wrote:

> It hurts to say this (more than you know), but the docs would be
> kind-of portable if you exported them in MS Word format. If you insist on
> WYSIWYG, this may in fact be your best option.

I am afraid I have to second the opinion that MS Word (ahhhg, Yes it
hurts..)
seems to be the best WYSIWYG even for a Linux user/fanatic.
Combined with Acrobat Destiller to convert to PDF format for
distribution.
(MS Word format stinks for distribution, even in a MS-only environment).

I have searched for something better, or good enough but for Linux, but
found nothing. I even considered Netscape and HTML but adding a small
drawing is a pain in the rear end.

This was my wish list:
* WYSIWYG
* Easy to add drawings
* Format suitable for distribution and the web
* Easy to learn/use
* Reasonable cost
* Possible to see diffs between document revisions

All but the last is fulfilled by a combination of MS Office and Acrobat.
Reasonable cost is of course a matter of definition. My guess is that
most organizations already have a couple of NT/95/98 machines with
Office available already, this may or may not be true in your case.

/Fredric

--
  Fredric Fredricson           MYDATA automation AB
 Manager System SW R&D         Adolfsbergsvagen 11