XEmacs & Japanese fonts (was tlug: XFree86 + X-TrueType: Success!)

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

 > and the interface is in serious flux (and the new one is really buggy
 > wrt non-default-character-set fonts---we don't really know in
 > principle how to handle the issue of WTF "italic" means in Japanese or
 > Chinese text).

Well, it doesn't really mean anything, does it? I don't imagine I'm
telling you anything you don't know, but it seems like trying to
translate Western typographic conventions will, in the long run,
create more problems than it solves. I would think the only sane
solution really is to start from higher-level, more-or-less universal
concepts like 'emphasis'. Then the questions become answerable -- at
least in principle. The practical problems with such an approach,
well, I guess you know better than I.

 > However, in most recent XEmacsen there is either a
 > Options | Browse Faces or a Options | Edit Faces menu item, which is
 > pretty self-explanatory.

Yeah, I've used it. But I tend to avoid it because XLFD's are such a
*%$#@ pain in the !@&*()%. Wish list item: a Browse Faces buffer that
lets you get away with 'Helvetica-Bold-12'.

 > And the recommended way for doing this kind of timing (assuming you
 > can spare the cycles :-) is to use the GNU time command with `xemacs
 > -batch -l file -e test-func'; or maybe use a shell loop to get
 > averages ;-)

Thanks for the tip. This time I was just looking for ballpark figures,
but if I ever get seriously into this sort of testing, I'll give that
a shot.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD