Re: tlug: Evil Netscape RPM & search for alternatives

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Uh, I'll try not to be too much of an advocate here ... right now I'm
> busily saying to myself "I will think *good* thoughts about Laser5
> ... I will think *good* thoughts about Laser5 ...".
>
> Now that I've got a big new hard disk, I'm having fun loading it up
> with all the apps I've been holding off on for months ... as well as
> finally getting my Nihongo stuff into shape. One of the goodies I
> picked up the other day was Linux Japan, whose CD contains an RPM/SRPM
> version of muriyari-nihongo-netscape-4.07. I thought it'd be easier
> than downloading.
>
> I thought!

[problems excised :) ]

> And my question:
>
> Is there a reasonably up-to-date Japanified Netscape package that
> won't mess with my system too terribly much? I don't *have* to have it
> ... but having come this far, I really want to now.

The one in TLJ 3.0 works, mostly.  I've seen it die mysteriously a couple
of times, but it does install cleanly and seems to work... Personally I'm
not going to deal with any Japanese netscape until it's done right, but
some people like muriyari...

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD