tlug: XFree86 + X-TrueType: Success!

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

 >     Matt> Last night I successfully built a set of RedHat-style RPMs
 >     Matt> of XFree86-3.3.3 with the X-TrueType patch. Works great!
 >
 > Cool.  Now try loading up a heavily font-customized XEmacs/Mule and
 > ... take your s/o out to dinner.  My experience suggests you won't
 > have time for anything slower than the McDonald's next door,

McDonald's next door?? Out here, the nearest equivalent would be, uh
... Kentucky Fried Chicken in the next town. Or maybe one of the
kani-meshi joints on the outskirts of Oshamanbe. Maybe taking her out
to look at the stars would be a better idea. Except we usually can't
see them with all the clouds. ;-(

 > Seriously, my experience with the Ryobi fonts is about
 > 10-15sec/instance in xfontsel.

You mean, with X-Truetype?

   -snip-snip-
 > minutes.  Using the xfstt TrueType X font server speeds things up a
 > bit, and at least the X server continues running, instead of dropping
 > dead the way it does when scaling fonts itself.

Hmm. My experience w/ xfstt has not been that great. Yeah, it works,
but the one I've got has bad habits like spawning multiple instances
of itself that never die. Maybe a newer version would help, huh?
Anyway, I suppose one could put an 'killall -KILL xfstt' at the end of
one's .xinitrc, but I don't see why I should have to. Also, I didn't
think xfstt supported composite fonts. If it does, I'd be interested
to know how.

In any case, I thought I might want a separate font server, that's why
I built all of XFree86 and not just the server. So now I've got
X-Truetype support in both the X server -- currently running -- and
xfs -- which I haven't tried yet. Research <;-> suggests that the
X-TrueType-enabled xfs should be superior to xfstt, but we'll have to
see what really happens, won't we? Unfortunately, I don't have any
more time to play with it today, but I'll let you know as soon as I
get the chance.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD