Re: tlug: ccp

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Evidently this is sufficiently well-covered in the egcs FAQ.  If the
> infinitely wise Computer Scientist[1] should decide in her[2] infinite
> wisdom that it is not sufficient, a summary of an off-line discussion
> with further commentary may miraculously appear one of these days.

*laugh* Ah, sarcasm.  I love it ;)

The high points are these:

* 2.0 kernels should not be compiled with either gcc-2.8 or egcs because
  these kernels contain faulty asm.  They just happened to work with
  gcc-2.7 because 2.7 would mask the problem.  These kernel problems have
  been fixed in the 2.1 branch.[1]
* I suspect that the XEmacs problem might stem from similar causes.  I'm
  curious to know if it only breaks when compiled with egcs-1.1.1, or if
  it breaks with egcs-1.1b as well.  However, I don't use XEmacs so I'm
  not highly motivated to track this one down.[2]

-- Chris

[1] This is not to be read as "egcs is perfect in all cases, the code that
    it's compiling is the problem".

[2] vi rocks.

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD