tlug: Recovering deleted filestructure ... ?

I had the most interesting experience this morning.  A script I
was working is meant to write out a directory structure to disk
if it doesn't already exist.  Running a draft of the script, it
mis-created a structure in such a way that it contained, at the
top, a subdirectory called $HOME.  Without thinking, I hit delete
while in the git file manager and ...

... yes, folks, git read the directory name as a variable, and
my entire home directory was recursively unlinked.

I have a three-week-old backup of the machine, and can lay my hands on
most of what has changed since then (including the offending script,
as it happens).  But before restoring from tape, I thought I would
ask:

  Is there a way of undeleting or relinking files and directories
  in the ext2fs filesystem?  I've had a look through some of the
  documentation, but I'm not sure what's what.

Many thanks,
Frank B

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD