Re: tlug: Network card not found

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > you may need an options line for the lance, too, if it's ISA.  NE2k
> > cards come from the factory set to 0x300, so the above should at least
> > get eth0 working.
>
> Minor point: there is no such thing (anymore) as an NE2000 card.  The NE
> stands for Novell Eagle, and ISTR they haven't been manufactured for
> years.
>
> NE2000 is, instead, an ad hoc NIC standard that is used by many
> semiconductor manufacturers.  The "clone" cards have varying degrees of
> compatibility with the original card, which is why some cards are not
> autoprobed properly.
>
> The card's default settings depends on many variables.  Don't blithely
> assume that it's going to be 0x300.

I've seen many an NE2000 clone in my life, and all the ones that I have
seen come set to 0x300 by default.

> > A better solution is to use PCI cards - they're autodetectable and barely
> > cost any more (maybe 1 or 2 dollars) than their ISA counterparts.
>
> PCI NE2000 clones are sick and wrong -- a bad ISA design that didn't
> improve when it was sea-changed to PCI. If you're going to go to the
> trouble of getting a card, you might as well get something that was
> designed properly (I like the EtherExpress series, but YMMV).

sure, but PCI NE2000 cards are cheap and they work.  Much better than,
say, a 3Com 3c9xx series card, I might add.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691