Re: tlug: package managers (was Apache + mod_speling)

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> # let's take this to advocacy

I'm keeping this here for one more post, since my reply is technical in
nature - I checked out the debian apacheconfig (a perl script) yesterday.
It doesn't actually do anything other than set up about 3 parameters and
let you configure dynamic modules (which are still experimental in the 1.3
apache series, according to the docs...).  Anyway, it's not a package
manager's job to configure the installed package, just to install it.
Configuration tools, IMHO, still have their place :)

> On 10-Dec-98 Scott Stone wrote:
> > I think it's a bit unresasonable to expect RPM or any package
> > manager to be able to understand and configure any/every
> > package's configuration files.  We're not to THAT level of
> > automation yet - it still requires some good old-fashioned
> > know-how to be a system administrator,
>
> Exactly! I see this kind of thread all over the place lately.
> It's seems to be
>
> a. let's make Linux as easy to use as possible so that people
>    don't have to understand the tools they're using
>
> or
>
> b. if people don't understand the tool they shouldn't be using
>    it.
>
> Let me quote an old Red Hat manual:
>      "Installing, uninstalling, and upgrading RPM packages
>      are all one line commands, and all the messy details
>      are taken care of for you."
>
> Hmmm, all those 'messy details' are what make these packages so
> powerful.... and mean that there is still a steep learning curve.
>
> My experience over the last couple of days is that RPM _adds_ to
> that learning curve.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim S.

> Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
> *NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
> Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> more info: http://tlug.linux.or.jp                     Sponsor: PHT

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)