Re: tlug: install to no-CD notebook

I agree I believe that we are beating a dead horse here..
1.) He already bought the CD of different spices.. Therefore he does have
the source.  So that cuts out the option to download via FTP

2.) His best solution and economical would probably just do the serial
thing.  Granted that he is in the middle of nowhere. (sorry)  But I am sure
some Japanese based tech store in town may have cables if not Laplink
cables.

The implentation Linux should and have been proven that it is a low budget
implementation granted that OS itself is free.  I think it is our duty to
introduce him to the most lowest cost of implementation.  That is more
rational to his predicament.  Even though the implentation is rather
difficult to install via the medium of serial / parallel link.  He wants to
learn and mostly people learn by patience and trial by error.  The best
advice would have him head for the FAQ on HOWTO on PLIP at the LDP or
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/README.plip

Here are some point of references to start:
http://www.alf.de/home.knut/nag/node284.html
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/RedHat/PLIP-Tips.html#toc1

Good Luck,

Daniel Saito