Re: tlug: Re: limits of acceptability

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> He edits files by writing them to punch cards (barely acceptable) and
> then chewing on them (it's a shame they discontinued the cherry
> flavor, cards would be much more acceptable).

I never liked cherry-flavor.  Chocolate was much much better.

> What they _should_ be doing (IMHO, and incidentally that of Debian),
> is to decide what they can handle and then let the user decide when to
> use the config tools and when to do bloody surgery on the rc file.

... and when they create a config file, it should be human-readable.
Extra points for comments in the config file.

TL xconfigurator produces an X configuration file that is the bare-assed
minimum to get X running.  Human-readable, if one is familiar with
XF86Config files, but not especially suited to after-the-fact editing.

In contrast, xf86config produces an X configuration file that is
_extremely_ self-documented.  Want to know what ChordMiddle does?  Even if
it wasn't chosen during the config process, the description is in the
config file.  Makes it much easier to edit, as well as explain to the
person standing behind you what is being changed and why.

-- Chris

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691