RE: tlug: install to no-CD notebook

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Micheal Cooper wrote:

> I assume that buying either the CD or the NIC will not be a loss since I can
> use it on the next notebook that I buy... someday... when I get a real job
> (ie, in IT, not private English teaching).
>
> Would a Linux install recognize a PCMCIA CD, (especially on such an old
> machine)?
> Would it be possible to use the modem to connect to one of the desktops and
> install it that way?

the PCMCIA CD would be a good bet.  I've had trouble with Linux
recognizing some types of IDE PCMCIA cards (such as the one that comes
with the Buffalo external cdrom drive here in Japan), but if you get a
nice Adaptec APA-1460 SCSI PCMCIA card and an external SCSI CD-ROM, that'd
be probably the best way to go.

However, if you're going to lay down some cash, go to Yodobashi Camera in
Shinjuku and go to their laptop floor - they've got lots of used stuff at
pretty good prices - you might just be able to find one with color and a
built-in CD drive for not too much money.

> I now I can set up serial connections under w95, but when running w95, I
> probably have no space for another partition in which to put the files. It
> might be possible, though. So where is the FAQ on doing this? I searched,
> but either my building or my provider keeps getting me cut off.

I don't think there is a FAQ on this, at least not that I remember seeing.
Read my last post on the subject - it's sort of a HOWTO-by-guessing, but
it *might* work.  :)

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691