Re: tlug: install to no-CD notebook

Couple of question Micheal,
Granted that you don't have a CD for that laptop to place large binary based
systems online you do need a medium for transportation to place it on
computer.  And I am sure you don't want to invest your time to put Microsoft
based products by hand disk by disk.  Not much to learn from that.  But to
answer your question, yes Linux will work on your Winbook. And yes,
slackware is the lean & mean.  Then you have other variants such as Debian,
RH5.x and etc.  But as far as I know all linux based spices will work.   So
first thing is first if you want to install linux on your PC.

1.) Does your laptop has PCMCIA Support?
2.) What type of Video Graphic chipset is in your laptop?  (It pops up
briefly when you power it up)

You two choices from here:
Pick an installation medium:

Via Internet and or CD or Serial

If you pick internet you need to get a PCMCIA modem card and or external
modem to connect to via internet and download couple disks (bootdisk and or
make them off of your CDs that you are getting).

If you go CD you could get one of those PCMCIA SCSI and a SCSI CDROM and
install it that way

If you use serial I am sure that there is a way I am sure someone could help
you on this list.. I never tried that so I don't know.

As for making the boot disk you run rawrite (make sure you are running MSDOS
in either dos 6.22 and or Windows 3.1 and or Win95  NT dos won't work.)

After getting everything to work you probably want Xserver installed
therefore find the video graphic chipset and match it to you list (no it
doesn't self detect it like Windows) although there is a probe program in
there.  But then again it fails with searching for it.. I have NeoMagic I
had to external source and install it later..

Well good luck.  Sorry if its quick and dirty.. I just didn't have a whole
lot of time on my hands to actually sitdown and write a whole primer for
installation.

Daniel Saito
daniel@example.com
http://www.digital-canvas.com