Re: tlug: install to no-CD notebook

Scott Stone wrote:
> AFAIK Slackware is the only one that can still be installed entirely from
> floppies and with 4MB of RAM.  TL and RH can be installed on an 8MB
> machine, but you will need to install from CD or via NFS or SMB

Is it possible to set up a ppp network connection in one of the virtual
terminals
while installing?  (Note: I didn't ask if it was easy.  I imagine that
it would
involve making a special ramdisk with the pppd binary, etc.)  This is
something
I might want to do in the future if I have to do the same thing multiple
times,
and am curious if there is something other than the lack of the pppd
program
that would stop it from working.

What I'd probably recommend, if you don't want to mess with floppies, is
make a small / medium sized partition to hold the minimal install files,
copy
them over a serial link, install, and then reformat that partition and
move
/home or /var to it.  This is the method I used when first installing my
first
Slackware on my sole 80 meg disk ages ago.
--
Howard
Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan