Re: tlug: Xwindows crashing

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Atlas21 Shawn wrote:

> Ever since then, whenever I try to startx, I get a black (black)
> screen and the machine locks up. I went so far as to totally
> reinstall, and was surprised when I got the same problem.

One of the following is true:

* Your XF86Config is wildly incorrect (might be setting incorrect mode),
  causing the X server to crash the box.
* Your video card is damaged, causing the box to hang when the X server
  probes the hardware.

You didn't say what sort of video card you had, so that's about as
specific as I can get.

5.1 shipped with XFree86 3.3.2 or 3.3.1.  Get the 3.3.3 binaries from your
nearest xfree86.org mirror, install them, and then run
/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config (NOT any of the whiz-bang RedHat X configuration
tools -- use the right tool for the right job).

-- Chris

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691