Re: tlug: Kernel hackers?

    Scott> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

    Scott> ... or like Tekram occupies in Japan.  Tekram doesn't just
    Scott> make crappy cards, they make SPECTACULARLY crappy cards.
    Scott> Their quality control level is, IMHO, lower than
    Scott> Microsoft's.  They support Linux, but I almost wish they
    Scott> didn't, because they do incorrect things - ie, most of
    Scott> their controllers are based on ncr53c8xxx type controller
    Scott> chips.  However, their bios is not 100% compatible with the
    Scott> standard 53c8xx driver.  So, instead of sending a patch to
    Scott> the driver maintainers, they write a *separate* driver.
    Scott> Unfortunately this other driver will also try and work with
    Scott> other 53c8xx controllers, which is very, VERY bad.

I have been using tekram for quite some time, but I did have to get
their driver to make it work, and patch the kernel by hand, as their
patch did not work. :(

I have not had any problems with it, but it has always left me a bit
nervous. The only other thing that was available in Japan at the time
was Adaptec. Having seen lots problems reported with them, I shied
away.

Does anyone sell wide scsi other vendor's cards that work well under
Linux in Tokyo?

Thanks,

	Andy
Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 *** place TBA ***
IMPORTANT: TLUG is looking for a venue for the next meeting
if you could host in your university or office, please contact us
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691