Re: tlug: qpopper vs. tcpd

    Dave> Er... yeah... of course...

:-)

    Dave> Actually, what i knew was that i could type "cat file" and
    Dave> get the contents of file, just in the same way that "more
    Dave> file". Now that i think about it, what is the difference
    Dave> between saying "cat file > file2" and "more file >
    Dave> file2". Isn't it the same result?

The latter actually won't work very well, because more expects
keyboard input for paging.

    Dave> Based on what Yan said, i now know that ipop is doing my POP
    Dave> services.  That's cool and all, but let's assume - because
    Dave> it's a good assumption - that i still want to make it
    Dave> qpopper instead. Do i need to remove ipop before installing
    Dave> qpopper? Or will qpopper take over port 110 and nudge ipop
    Dave> out of the way for me? I'm kind of worried that the two will
    Dave> vie for attention on the same port and cause trouble.

Exactly right.  What will happen, in fact, is whichever one gets
started first will get the port, the other will exit and complain
about the port being used.  It's probably not obvious to you which
gets started first; what actually happens is that inetd tries to grab
all the ports mentioned in /etc/inetd.conf when it starts, then it
passes them to either the server or to tcpd, which then hands off to
the server itself.  So if _both_ are started from inetd, inetd should
report a configuration error, probably in /var/log/syslog or
/var/log/messages, otherwise you need to find out whether imap or
inetd gets started first.

I don't know where ipop is being started, so you'll need to figure
that out.

In general, the /etc/inetd.conf file should mention each port at most
once (except for comments, of course).  If ipop is _not_ mentioned in
that file, you will need to configure the IMAP server _not_ to handle
POP.  I don't know about the IMAP server, so you'll have to figure
that out somehow yourself.

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 *** place TBA ***
IMPORTANT: TLUG is looking for a venue for the next meeting
if you could host in your university or office, please contact us
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691