tlug: Failed at the first post.

Firstly hello to everyone on this list.  I'm a Tokyo based electrical
engineer trying to convert myself into a computer programmer.....

Jim Tittsler introduced me to this list as I have been "about to try" and
install Linux onto my laptop for the last few months.

Anyway I have taken the decision to go with RedHat and have done a bit of
background reading and as far as I can tell  - getting as far as Xfree86
should be possible on my laptop.  I have now got as far as trying to use
fips.exe to resize the present partition on which Windows 95 is installed.
I want to create a new partition of about 500MB onto which I want to install
Linux but the fips utility is saying that the biggest partition I can make
is 90MB.   The problem lies in a few random sectors that the Windows 95
defragmentation utility refuses to move.

I suppose I have two questions..

1)  Are there any utilities around for finding out which files are using
these sectors?

2)  I could just reformat the whole disk (810MB)  and install Linux from
scratch.  Linux can, I think, do anything I am likely to want to do with the
notebook apart from run Windows Encarta. I have Encarta 95 which I can't get
to run on my other machine which has NT4.  Has anyone ever heard of running
encarta under Linux. How dumb a question is this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stewart Dow,  AIService, Tokyo
stewart@example.com

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691