Re: tlug: caching proxy

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I'm looking for way ways to save bandwidth to our head office
> in the US. I know there are such things a caching proxy servers,
> (squid??), but have never used one. What I want is something like:
>

>         Tokyo user
>         Tokyo Proxy cache
>         US Proxy server ( head office )
>         US Internet provider
>
> I'm also game to upgrade our very old internal web server ( NCSA httpd
> 1.3 ). Can Apache work a caching proxy like this?

yeah, squid can do this.  I think that apache 1.3.3 can do this on its own
as well, but I'm not sure.  You can also hook up squid with other caching
proxy servers, provided that you have permission from the sysadmins.

> Thanks for you help.
>
> 	Andy

> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 HSBC Securities Office
> more info: http://tlug.linux.or.jp Sponsors: PHT, HSBC Securities

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)