tlug: Cable modem internet providers

Hello,

	I just found out that Tokyu Cable is providing internet access
via the cable TV ( http://www.catv.ne.jp/ ). They provide 14.3mb to
their distribution center, and then 6mb to iij.

It sounds like a fair bit of bandwidth, but then they don't say how
many users will be on one cable. Also, I would think that the 6mb to
iij could be used up pretty quick.

I called them up to find out if I could get a fixed IP, but they said
no. They are planing to offer that in 6 months to a year.

The monthly fees seem quite reasonable. 5200 yen a month. Just a tad
more than I pay for my wife's email/web account on twics. So it seems
that I could just about setup my mail server, web etc.

The dynamic IP makes this a bit difficult though. I think it would
still by possible though, by going though the Dynamic DNS project

	http://www.ml.org/ml/dyndns/

Reading their news though, it does not sound too stable.

Does anyone know of other providers that might have include Meguro-ku
in their service area?

I suppose I could make the dynamic IP more or less static by just
running ping -s against their name server. :)

Regards,

	Andy

P.S.

	This all started because one of the guys at work told me he a
had just signed up for 512k cable line. I started salivating
involuntarily, and was on the phone to them in about half and nano
second. Unfortunately, they only service a small area in Chiba. See:

	http://www.allnet.ne.jp