Re: tlug: Perl linked against libc 5 & 6 on TL2.0J ??

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:
>
> > That did the trick. I have perl recompiled and it works with the
> > module it cored on before.
>
> Outstanding.
>
> > This leads to another question though. I built it from the source rpm.
> > I did a rpm -ba spec-file. This built it OK, but left it in
> > /var/tmp/Perl. I've built perl in a temp directory like this before;
> > just tar it up and untar it to / . I'm rather ignorant about how rpm
> > works.
>
> Me too ;)
>
> RPM is essentially against my religion.  I'm sure Scott will be more than
> happy to discuss the finer points of RPMs when he returns from the states.

well, the actual untar and build happens in
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/perl-xxxx, but the thing in /var/tmp is a temporary
installation so that it doesn't overwrite your system files when doing
'make install'.  Theoretcially, the rpm should clean up after itself - I
probably forgot to uncomment that after debugging the build script.
Getting perl to install in a 'build root' was really hard, so.. anyway,
you can delete the stuff in /var/tmp.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)