Re: tlug: ESS 1879 sound chip not recognized under TL kernel 2.0.35

Thanks, Howard.

    Howard> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> The message is "couldn't initialize /dev/dsp".  After that all
    >> the modules give "device busy".  Hmm.  I'd better check that I
    >> _have_ /dev/dsp.  (Sorry, Scott.)

    Howard> Amazing what more details can do.  Yep, I have seen this
    Howard> one before, with TurboLinux 2.0j, and a SB AWE 64.  I
    Howard> don't know the exact cause, but I figured out a 'fix' for
    Howard> my case.

    Howard> I get those errors whenever my sound card is initialized
    Howard> by isapnp.

Ah.  Yes, I have seen that, same AWE 46, Debian Linux.  However, my
notebook doesn't have any PNP cards (according to pnpdump), and the
execution of isapnp is protected by if [ -f /etc/isapnp.conf ] which
config file is nonexistent.

Oh, well, I'll keep trying.

What are those two straight lines for?  "Open source rules."