Re: tlug: Quest for e-mail

Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> Okay, the deal is that I have two web sites on this Linux machine all set
> up and ready to go. One of them is the "d-rave.com" site  ...

> The other site is, or at least will be,
> for more serious concerns. Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is have it so
> that I can use the ".com" addresses as an e-mail address. So, for example,
> i could have "me@example.com".

So, to make sure I understand what you want to do, you want to send
email
to userid@example.com, and read it from another machine?  Only one
machine, or
do you want to read your mail multiple places?  If only one machine
that's always
on-line, have d-rave.com forward all mail to that machine.  (Sendmail
configuration)

If multiple machines, or a machine that's got intermittent access to the
other one,
you probably want to have a pop server or a Imap server.
(Anybody have a favorite?  The only one I know of is popd.)

Or, since you can log into the machine, do you want to read it on
d-rave.com?
First telnet, then start your favorite text mode mail reader.  (Pine
seems
to be commonly available and popular).

For the second two options, you'll need to create a user called 'me' or
whatever
on d-rave.com, if you haven't already.

>This is where i thought the mail server came
> in.
> I thought a mail server was a thing like an FTP server, ...
> and then be able to access these
> e-mail addresses by remote machines. I thought mail would come to this
> machine, be stored there, and then give it to me when i asked for it from,
> say, my PC at home.

Not exactly.  I'd say e-mail is more like telnet; it wants a final
destination
for the messages.

> As suspected, there is a mail server already running and getting mail from
> nobody and sending it to nobody.
Yep.  I even sent 'nobody' a couple messages, but I guess he didn't feel
like
responding.   :)

> Why would there be a command that does nothing at all?
For testing perhaps, so people who telnet in to port 25
can play around?