Re: tlug: No joy in mudville (Was: ISDN problems)

On 10 Nov 98, at 9:59, Howard Abbey wrote:

> Absolutely no change?  I.e. X-isp or whatever still gives you something
> like: ATDT####-### ATZ+++H0
>
> If it's different, please post it.  If it's not, SOMEWHERE it's getting a
> weird init string from.  Check /etc/sysconfig/network/anything, and if
> nothing there, ask the list if anyone else has an idea where it's getting
> it from.

Just went back and tried things again.  Xisp had ATZ set as
the init string, but I've been told that init string won't
work for the ISDN dialup, so I tried changing it to ATD.  No
joy.  Then I tried just changing it to AT.  No joy.

Here are my other relevant files:

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets

 Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
lance           *       (deleted)
relevant sections from /etc/ppp/connect

MODEM_INIT="ATD"

# The phone number to dial
PHONE_NUMBER="5489-8200"

# The chat sequence to recognize that the remote system
# is asking for your user name.
USER_CHAT_SEQ="ogin:--ogin:--ogin:--ogin:--ogin:--ogin:--
ogin:"

# The string to send in response to the request for your user
# name.
USER_NAME="lance"

# The chat sequence to recongnize that the remote system
# is asking for your password.
PASSWD_CHAT_SEQ="word:"

# The string to send in response to the request for your #
password.
PASSWORD="(deleted)"
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets is a carbon copy of chap-secrets
/etc/syconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0

'ABORT' 'BUSY'
'ABORT' 'ERROR'
'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'
'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'
'' 'ATZ'
'OK' 'ATDT5489-8200'
'CONNECT' ''
'ogin:' 'lance'
'ord:' '(deleted)'

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

USERCTL=yes
PERSIST=no
DEFROUTE=yes
ONBOOT=no
INITSTRING=ATD
MODEMPORT=/dev/modem
LINESPEED=115200
ESCAPECHARS=no
DEFABORT=yes
HARDFLOWCTL=yes
DEVICE=ppp0
REMIP=
IPADDR=
MRU=1500
USERCTL=yes
PPPOPTIONS=noipdefault
PAPNAME=lance
DISCONNECTTIMEOUT=300
RETRYTIMEOUT=
MTU=
BOOTPROTO=none
DEBUG=no

Any others that might be flies in the ointment here?

Here are the last two results from xisp:

Connection initiated: 10:29:41 AM
xispdial: PID=414
xispdial: dialing ISP: using PAP/CHAP
ATZ
OK
xispdial: dialing attempt #1
xispdial: dialing: 5489-8200
AT H0 (this one seems to be a problem, and I can't shake it)
OK
AT DT 5489-8200
NO CARRIER
ATZ
OK

(now, again after changing the init value)

Connection initiated: 10:33:44 AM
xispdial: PID=451
xispdial: dialing ISP: using PAP/CHAP
AT+++AT