Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On 9 Nov 98, at 16:25, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Lance Cummings wrote:
>
> > ATZ
> > OK
> > ATDT5489-8200
> > NO CARRIER
>
> Hmmm.
>
> That's the right phone number for an ISDN connect, right?

Sure works from Windows.  ;-))  And unless my old Sportster can
suddenly pull down files at 7kps, it's ISDN.

> Where is the manual for this modem, and can you read the language in which
> it is written?

In my hand; and not very well.  (Actually, I've been looking for an init
string in the manual, but I can't find anything that looks right.)

> What do the blinking lights do when you dial (I have a NEC Aterm 55DSU at
> home, I assume the lights will be similar)?

When I issue the command, the main light on the front of the TA goes on.
It also says, in kana, that it's connecting digitally ("data" as opposed to
"analog"), and it shows the number it's calling.  But the light goes off
bloody fast, and then it goes on again (the disconnect sign) and it ever
so politely informs me that I owe NTT another dime.  It does *not* bow,
however, and I'm thinking of suing NEC over this.  ;-)

> Have you sacrificed a calf to the networking deity?

My wife will be home soon . . . <g>

Lance