Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> yeah, USR has their own extension to the Hayes AT command set, which
> personally I think *everyone* should use - USR did a really fantastic
> job, and I love their modems.

Add the USR Sportster to the long list of "things Chris doesn't like".
The old, pre-1996 Sportster was good (the 83900 model, if anyone cares).
When they did the cost-reduction versions (the 83901 and 83902 models),
they flushed quality down the toilet[1].

I will _never_ purchase, nor recommend that anyone else purchase, another
USR product based on the nasty experiences with their hardware and their
technical support.

-- Chris

[1] The ISP that I was working for had about two hundred Sportsters spread
    among four dialup pools.  The 83900s (of which we had about sixty)
    were rock-solid.  The 83901s couldn't talk to anything except another
    83901 (thirty of these).  The 83902s (the rest of the modem pool) were
    randomly flakey.  Turns out that the firmware was botched.  Guess
    which model had soldered-in firmware?