Re: tlug: Need info. about Japanese and Linux

Uchida.Masatomo@example.com, masatomo@example.com wrote:

> Fredric wrote:
> > We base our current release on RedHat 4.1. This will probably
> > change for next release.
>  You'd better hurry up. If you are using Redhat4.1 and relatively
> old computer, you give a bad impression to Japanese customers.
We don't exactly use RedHat 4.1. We _base_ our own distribution on
rpm's that comes from RH 4.1. When we started the project 4.1 was the
latest release. When changes has been made that made sense for us
to include (like new kernel releases, new versions of HW drivers etc)
we have included them.
The only problem we have with Redhat 4.1 is that it uses an old libc
and not glibc.
The customer does not know anything about this. He buys a machine
does not care about these details.

> > The main problem is that we do not have a GUI. We use a character
> > based interface (for a lot of historical reasons). I realize that
> > a GUI is probably required to get Japanese characters and this is
> > also a logical next step.
>  As Stephen told, Kon works to show Japanese characters without GUI.
> But in Japanese companies 486 computers are considered garbage.
> Who buys a garbage?
Nobody, I hope. I have not seen a 486 in years but I hear they make
good web servers with Linux/apache. It is, however, still possible to
run a character based interface on a PII 450 ;-).

> > There may be a problem here. I understand kterm can display kanji
> > but most kanji texts I have seen seems to contain occasional
> > characters of different types. If this is the case a pure kanji
> > interface may not be good enough. Could anybody enlighten me here?
>  There are three codes in Japanese characters. They are JIS, SJIS and
> EUC. To convert codes there's a converter called 'nkf'.
Are these codes 8-bit? My concern is if I can fit it inside our
current system of language-specific text files.

> You can also try
>  kterm -km euc
>  kterm -km jis
>  kterm -km sjis