tlug: Tar to remote device

We have a couple of DAT drives hooked up to servers here.  I
would like to back up my Linux laptop to one of them.  I see in
the GNU tar manpage that you're supposed to be able to do things
like:

  tar vtf other.host.name:/dev/rmt0

Unfortunately, all I get with this is a "permission denied"
response, and related error messages that follow from that.

Quite possibly the first thing I need to do is open up access to
a daemon in /etc/inetd.conf; most of that is closed out at the
moment.  But the man page doesn't give any indication of what
socket is used by tar to communicate with the remote host.  Um,
maybe via ... rsh?

o If it _is_ meant to be using rsh, does this mean that I need to
  open up root access to rshd on the host machine?

o If so, I have two questions: (1) uh, how do I do that?,

o and (2) is there a means of allowing root to rsh into the host
  only from a specific IP address?

Security isn't that much of a concern here (to the extent that
I'm not worried about people snooping the contents of my machine
during the backup).  But rsh via root sounds just a _little_ bit
like the opening to a familiar story about a small boy's thumb
and a crumbling dike.

Cheers,
--
-x80