tlug: Re: Lilo hosed

> However, on boot lilo freezes up after printing LI.  Right now, I'm
> booting from a sysboot disk. Fdisk does report 0 heads for /dev/hda, and
> it reports that heads should be set.  Apparently, some way, some how,
> something got hosed when I put the 3.0J beta on /dev/hdd.

I'm sure someone else has a simpler method, but what I usually do is boot
from a rescue disk, and then mount the target hard disk on the disk image.
Then you can edit lilo.conf (if needed) and re-run lilo.

  - get to a boot prompt
  - mknod /dev/hda c 3 0
  - mknod /dev/hda1 c 3 1
  - mknod /dev/hda2 c 3 2
    etc

  (assuming your boot partition is /dev/hda2)
  - mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt
    (if /dev/hda disappears at this stage, re-create it)
  - ln -s /mnt/boot boot
  - ln -s /mnt/etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf

  - edit lilo.conf with ed (or vi if your rescue disk has it)

  - /sbin/lilo
  - reboot

-Joe.

Joe Marchak joem@example.com ph:03-5203-3925 fx:03-5203-3699 +813/-03