Re: tlug: FAT32 mount problem

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 mike.fabian@example.com wrote:

> 皆さん今日は、
>
> I have a strange problem with mounting the Windows95 FAT32-partition
> from Linux. My /etc/fstab looks like this:
>

> While booting I receive the error message:
>
> "mount: /dev/hda1 has wront device number or fs type vfat not supported"
>
> But after booting, I can mount this partition correctly using
>
>   mount -a
>
> which mounts everything mentioned in /etc/fstab .
>
> Then why doesn't this partition get mounted at boot time?
>
> I am using Redhat 5.0 with Kernel 2.0.35.
>
> Thank you very much for any hints,

Looks like RH5 is mounting the filesystems before kerneld has started, so
the kernel doesn't know what the heck to do with a vfat filesystem.  try
adding 'modprobe vfat' to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit right before it mounts
local (non-root) filesystems.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)