tlug: Re: excessive white space

    >> Extra (even excessive) white space is by far the easiest thing
    >> you can do to improve the legibility of your mail (or source
    >> code, for that matter) *without* chewing up bandwidth (blank
    >>      lines only cost a byte).

    Rex> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ One anal-retentive reader who
    Rex> shall remain unnamed had to go and remind me that SMTP
    Rex> requires CRLF line termination, so each blank line costs two
    Rex> bytes of _bandwidth_.

SMTP (RFC-821) doesn't say squat about .sigs, because they're in the
message.  The message can be binary as far as 821 is concerned; the
only place CRLF is required is before and after the terminating "."

However, Unix NL normally is translated to CRLF and then the sender
quotes any offensive internal CRLF "." CRLF sequences.

I don't think RFC 822 says anything about it either (the _headers_
have to be CRLF-terminated ASCII, sigs are in the body).  MIME does,
though, I'm pretty sure.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Telfax: +81 (298) 53-5091
What are those two straight lines for?  "Asahi Super-dry rules."
Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)