Re: tlug: How to install Linux (Part 1) ...

Jim Tittsler wrote:

> [...]
> > Why do people recommend all these partitions? I've found when I partition
> > up a disk I normally regret it beause I run out of space on one of them.

> [...] The disadvantage as you point out is that until you've done it a few

> (dozen :-) times and figured out your usage pattern, you're bound to
> chop it up wrong.

...whew... I guess that means I've been progressing in standard fashion <g>...

Darren - you mentioned earlier that you were unimpressed with the ease of the RH
installation  - were you refering to the lack of info on partition sizes - that
was my main caveat - I filled up a partition or two a little earlier than
expected; took a reinstall or two to get it right.   Scanning through Dejanews
for info on resizing linux partitions returned dozens of hits of people in the
same predicament.

Can/does fips reliably resize linux ext2 partitions?  Most of the suggestions
which I found on newgroups were to just buy Partition Magic4.0 (I'd say 80% of
the suggestion...) but I'd rather be able to do it without throughing money at
the problem...  Initially I just shuffled some directories around, but eventually
reinstalled 'chopping it up' differently, as Jim put it.

When installing FreeBSD, besides manual partitioning, there is an "auto"
partition option which partions your hard drive into four generically sized
slices based on the overall size of the disk.  But hey, I'd rather drive a stick
shift over an automatic anyway...

Sean

Sean Bennett      < sean@example.com >
Nnet/Nakamura Shoji Co. Ltd.