tlug: Re: Updating the TLUG FAQ

John De Hoog wrote:

>>  Think of it this way - WHO are you complaining to, and WHY should they
>>  listen.

> How quickly things lose their context.

They do.  I was writing with respect to your previous comments:

> This seems to be saying that people are not supposed to vent their
> frustration about problems with Linux. Yet Linux, and other computer
> platforms as well, can be intensely frustrating. What's wrong with
> emotion? Isn't the real intention here to stifle complaints about Linux?

My point was that emotional complaints about linux are inappropriate,
given WHO you are complaining to, and WHY they should/shouldn't listen.

> So are you suggesting we all close our eyes to these things, as if
> there's no hope for improvement, even though more and more corporations
> are starting to get behind Linux?

Not sure where all of this came from.

> I don't know why you are so quick to write me off. I'm still not ready
> to write Linux off, by any means, in spite of the efforts of you and
> others to discourage me. ;-)

My comments were with respect to what you said previously, I quote:
   "What if the platform is tantalizingly close to meeting my needs, but
    falls down on two or three points?"

This suggests that linux is not meeting your needs, to which I said:

   "Linux is not ideal for everyone.  It sounds like it may not be for
    you. If it does not fit your plans, then please go find something else
    that will.  For myself and many others, linux is a wonderful tool
    which keeps getting better - thanks to the hard work of dedicated
    volunteers."

Not sure where all of this "in spite the efforts of you and others to
discourage me" comes from.

-Joe.

Joe Marchak joem@example.com ph:03-5203-3925 fx:03-5203-3699 +813/-03

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)