tlug: Re: TurboLinux outsells MacOS in Japan

> I hate to be a wet blanket, but this is like an example straight out of a
> book I have called "How to Lie With Statistics".

For Pete's sake!

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.  Sure.  Everyone knows that (or
should).  Neither I nor (I presume) PHT intended to imply that the "TL
outsells MacOS" hyperbole was absolute truth.  My post was an admittedly
lame attempt to lighten things up on this list -- morally equivalent to
"Linux Rulez!".

To be honest, I haven't even bothered to look at the original source,
just the slashdot article.  But I almost don't care what the source of
the statistics were.  If any *single* store that sells both Windows
(shrink wrapped, not pre-bundled) and TL is selling one copy of TL for
every 10 copies of Windows by any measure I find it amazing progress.
Even if the store specifically specializes in Unix.

I suspect (but haven't verified) that if you request the original
independent survey you will find all the raw statistical evidence
(margin of error, survey sample size, etc.) that you would expect in a
professional survey.

Regards,
--
Rex
Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)