RE: tlug: TurboLinux outsells MacOS in Japan

David E said:

> The announcement gives the strong impression that TurboLinux has higher
> sales than MacOS, but the fine print (which doesn't seem to be included in
> the announcement itself, surprise, surprise) tells us that the comparison
> is actually between almost 100% of TL sales (since it doesn't generally
> come bundled with PCs) and a very small percentage of MacOS sales (since
> the MacOS always comes with the machine and only a small percentage of
> users upgrade).

As pointed out elsewhere, however, the TL sales do not include those from
Unix shops or at bookstores (where I bought mine, and where a large
percentage of TL sales are made). The Mac sales, moreover, include those
loyal users who already own Macs and have decided to upgrade. This is not as
small a number as you imagine. So while the figures may indeed be
misleading, they are not as bad as the picture you paint.

What I'd like to know is:
(1) where the other 20 percent or so of sales went, and
(2) how many of those TL buyers are actually using their purchase
productively, compared to the Apple and MS users. (Answer: we'll probably
never know.)

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
dehoog@example.com

Here's the end, just when you though it would never come.

Everything else follows after, including gratuitous ads.